Whats all the hype about? We all hear about these super foods but what is so good about them. I did a little research today and found out some really cool stuff? Chia is the Mayan word for STRENGTH these seeds were used by ancient cultures as a MEGA – ENERGY food and gives an incredibly sustaining surge of energy. Chia seeds are the richest source of omega-3 fats of any plant and possess several other health benefits for
- cardio vascular disease
- healthy brain and nervous system
- soft skin
- just 100g of chia seeds contain as much calcium as 2 cups of milk which is great for bone health and the prevention of osteoporosis
- good source of dietry fibre – necessary for bowel health
- protein – for growth and repair
- good source of iron, magnesium, zinc and B vitamins which naturally boost energy levels and health.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS CHIA CAN HELP WITH INCLUDE
- weight loss/balance
- acid reflux
- lowering cholesterol
Now you know all the good stuff how do you eat them?
The most common way to eat chia is to first soak the seeds, 1/3 cup of seeds to 2 cups of water stir well to avoid clumping and leave in the fridge in a sealed jar. just 10 mins is enough time for the gel to be formed and will stay good for 3 weeks, then you can just reach into the fridge and take some whenever you need it. you might like to add it to smoothies, mix with salads, puddings or granola or simply take it by the spoonful.
I have some amazing chia recipes at the gym if you would like some